Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Vaca Time....

I'm on vacation. A spontaneous one at that. A few days after TM left to go home for his art show, my father made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

He asked me to come home for a week and to surprise my mother in the process. I came up with every excuse in the book why I couldn't, but in the end, with very little persuasion, and an offer for monetary assistance, I accepted.

I switched around the schedule at work, organized a kitty sitter, packed, did all necessary car adjustments, and got myself on the road.

That's right. The road. It's approximately a 16 hour drive to get to my home. 7 of them on a dirt road.

I was skeptical about whether my tuna can would make the trip, but alas, he did. Without failure I should add.

I arrive in my hometown, (While driving a wee bit above the speed limit because of my excitement) and whip around the corner to my cul-de-sac.

The music was really loud so I thought I would draw some attention to myself or that someone (Mem) would see or hear me pull up. She did not.

I get out, go to the door, knock loudly, and hide behind the mailbox. I hear the dog barking in a frenzy. Mother opens the door while trying to hold the beast back, looks out but doesn't see me. She peeks out a little farther and catches a glimpse of me. All the while, the dog barking and shaking all over the porch.

Mother then reaches out from the doorway, her wingspan terrifying, grabs me by the collar, and pulls me into the house.


Thus begins a fantastic but all too quick week.

No comments: